A Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-character alphanumeric identifier, issued in the form of a laminated “PAN card”, by the Indian Income Tax Department, to any “person” who applies for it or to whom the department allots the number without an application.
A PAN is a unique identifier issued to all judicial entities identifiable under the Indian Income Tax Act, 1961. The income tax PAN and its linked card are issued under Section 139A of the Income Tax Act. It is issued by the Indian Income Tax Department under the supervision of the Central Board for Direct Taxes (CBDT) and it also serves as an important proof of identification.
It is also issued to foreign nationals (such as investors) subject to a valid visa, and hence a PAN card is not acceptable as proof of Indian citizenship. A PAN is necessary for filing income tax returns.
Guidelines for Submitting PAN Application through UTIITSL website/ portal and Making Payment online option now available for Form 49A and Form 49AA:
- Applicant should fill in his/her New PAN Application Form 49A “online” through UTIITSL’s site http://www.utiitsl.com/ under the menu option Services->PAN Card->Apply. Instructions for filling up the form as provided on the website should be followed while filling up each information on the form.
- Applicant should click on “Validation” followed by “Submit” button once the application is filled in.
- The filled–in application form is visible on the screen for thorough verification by the applicant. Applicant should verify it for correctness of the information being submitted.
- If verified correct, Applicant can now go ahead with making online payment by clicking on “Make Payment” button on this form.
- Applicant will be re-directed to Payment Gateway site now by choosing either of the available gateway options – BillDesk and PayU India. Here applicant is free to choose any of the gateways depending on applicant’s payment card issuing bank option available in the two options.
- Applicant needs to carry out the payment attempt with his/her card details using one of the following options: Netbanking, Credit Card (Master/Visa), Debit Card (Master/Visa), Cash Card or any other as seen available on the Payment Gateway site.
- Applicant may get a “Success” or a “Failure” as a result of this online payment attempt, accordingly the message will be displayed clearly.
- On payment “Failure”, message of failed transaction will be system–endorsed on the filled–in form visible on the screen. Applicant may either Cancel, go back OR Retry making the payment.
- On payment “Success”, payment confirmation will be system –endorsed on the filled-in.
- For “Success” cases, Applicant should “Save” OR take a print–out of the filled-in form visible on the screen through the “Print Form” option provided.
- On the printed form, Applicant should affix two (same) photographs of 3.5cms X 2.5cms size.
- Applicant should sign at the 3 specified positions on this photo–affixed form as follows:
- On the left hand box, sign across the affixed photograph.
- On the right hand box, sign below the photo in the space provided.
- On page 2 of the form, sign in the bottom right hand box in the space provided.
- With the signed PAN Application form complete as above, Applicant should attach copy of the documents being submitted as Proof of Identity, Proof of Address and Proof of Date of Birth strictly as per information provided in the filled–in form:
- Applicant is now ready with the complete set of application that includes one filled–in, signed, photo-affixed PAN Application form endorsed with “payment confirmation” alongwith the three supporting documentary proofs.
- Applicant should submit or dispatch this complete set of his/her application to the nearest UTIITSL office address below at any one of Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai or New Delhi regions for processing and issuance of his/her PAN Card.
Application Fee for PAN Card
- Indian Citizen All Category : Rs. 107/-
- Indian Citizen Resident in Abroad Pan Card Registration Dispatched Fee : Rs. 989/-
- Pay the Registration Fee Through Debit Card, Credit Card, Net Banking or Pay the Fee Through Offline.
Documents Required for PAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- Voter Identify Card (Voter ID)
- Arms License
- Driving License (DL)
- Pension Card with Photograph
- Ration Card
- Photo ID Card Issued By Any Central / State Government Authority
- Any Other Related Supported Document